Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Table lamp repair

Dave Baker wrote:
I have a rather nice vase table lamp which was given to me 10 years
or so ago. I have no idea where it originated from. Last night as I
switched it on there was a loud flash, some sparks and a noticeable
absence of light output. Stripping it down it appears that where the
bulb plugs in is a brass assembly holding a plastic fitting with two
sprung loaded metal pins to contact the bulb and the horizontal
on/off switch plunger. One metal pin is no longer sprung loaded so it
looks like the spring underneath it broke or melted.

Unscrewing the threaded brass rings which hold the lampshade holder
and bulb holder together I get to the aforementioned plastic bit into
which the electrical cable goes which is a sealed unit so no chance
of getting inside to fix it. On the underside is embossed "GM Série
100" so it looks like a French manufacturer. It's also obviously an
integral part of the whole brass assembly which the bulb plugs into
for this particular lamp and sized to fit into the other bits. Other
lamps I've checked have completely different sizes and configurations
of this bulb holder assembly bit so I can't just swap out something
from another lamp.
Google is no help in revealing who GM is other than apparently a
large and close to bankrupt car manufacturer.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might get a new part from or who
GM is?

Can you take a picture of the bulb holder, as you might be able to replace
the whole thing.

Would any of these work?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_1/index.html

Toby...