Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:55:04 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote
(in message 231220082255044154%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca):

In article
,
robo hippy wrote:

Well, back to the redneck peppermill. In the days before plastic bags,
I think it was a mortar and pestal. I do get requests for them.

What's a good wood to use? Hard maple, maybe?

I have a ceramic one I use for spices in the kitchen, but there may be
a smal market for wooden ones around here.

I made a wooden mortar and pestle... used maple. I made the pestle two-ended,
that is, there is a rounded kinda mashing end on each end, but they are of
two different sizes - I wasn't sure which would be better for the user, so
there are two different sized ends to choose from.

A useful feature would be a rubber non-skid bottom, so the darn mortar
doesn't slide all over the countertop when you are trying to mash and grind
something.

Another useful masher-upper is a trough which has a vee-shaped cross-section
inside, maybe about 8" long and about an inch wide, and a roller device which
is a matching disc about 2 or 3 inches in diameter with an axle about 8 or 10
inches long. You put your spices or whatever, in the trough, and then run the
roller/disc back and forth along the length of the trough. Use your hands on
the axle to provide both the down pressure on the disc, and its motive force.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.