Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Reply: Drilling a heap of 25mm / 1" holes in sheet metal

On 2008-12-23, Ned Simmons wrote:
On 23 Dec 2008 03:04:41 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

It is still going to be a lot of work going through material that
thick. (Hmm ... was it steel, or aluminum?) Steel will be stressing the
Greenlee punch nearly 1mm thick material. Aluminum you can probably do.

The capacity of a 1" slug-buster punch is 14ga (2.0mm) in steel. A 1"
slug-splitter is good up to 10ga (3.5mm) SS.

Good news. But he will still need a good solid vise to hold the
punch end while he turns the screw in the die end. What is the needed
torque for even 14 ga steel, let alone thicker stainless.

For that matter, how does it have greater capacity in stainless
steel (3.5mm) than in plain steel (2mm). (I presume we are talking
about mild steel.)

For that matter -- are those figures for turning the drive
screw, or for using a hydraulic puller?

I've never had a slug-buster (slug-splitter the same?) -- they
came out after I got my punches, but it would be nice to have that
feature.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564