Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default New boiler installed System 2000

On Dec 22, 8:05*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Some of you may be interested in the final outcome of my quest to find a
good heating boiler.

I started out looking at Buderus, Crown, Peerless. *They all seem good, this
one seems better. I've heard the Crown can be louder than others.

Today, the System 2000 was installed. *Only been running for a few hours so
it will take months to see how much the savings are but I'm very pleased
with the way it is set up and the way it works. *Everything looks high
quality and the installer did a very nice job of piping . *It has about 15
valves so anything in the system can be isolated for service. *Water heating
is indirect fired 40 gallon tank that seems about bottomless. *Ran the
dishwasher and it was always at temperature and a short shower did not even
start the burner.

The single most noticeable attribute is the sound. *Or lack of it. *It is
the quietest oil boiler I've ever seen.

Time will tell, but it seems like a very well built machine.http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Some states offer rebates and low or no interest financing. *Depending on
oil prices, I can pay for this completely from oil savings at $3 a gallon..

Did I mention how quiet it is?

Do you have large cast iron radiators on exterior walls? I do, I
wonder how much energy I waste heating a cold under insulated wall
that the heat just goes outside. A good portion of that heat is
radiant right, what do you think about using Foil Faced R 7.2"
foamboard glued to the exterior wall behind the radiator. I think for
me it would have a significant payback and maybe 1-5% reduction in
heat loss, the foil itself would reflect the radiant portion of the
heat given off. The board is dual foil faced, it will keep out cold
radiant from incomming. I am going to do it.

What temp does the 2000 heat water to, does it vary with outside temp
with an outside thermometer. I have seen add on controls to modulate
temp heated to, since it is cheaper to keep temp lower and not always
run to 180. But it depends on how big your radiators are.

How does it heat domestic HW, why is the 2000 better than a seperate
tank.

To accuratly compare what is saved in fuel don`t you have to chart
out past degree days, ive heard there is an easy to use accurate
formula.

Is it dual fuel or an easy conversion.