Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Thing is it's a bit of a misnomer talking about PAL or NTSC DVDs - as
they aren't actually coded to either. It's just the line and frame
rates that differ - and of course there are different ones of those on
both PAL and NTSC, IIRC, in various countries. In other words the
digits on the disc aren't PAL or NTSC encoded. And if you're feeding
them to the TV in digital, RGB or components again it doesn't matter -
only if composite or RF does PAL or NTSC really come into the
equation. So I suppose it's really just convention that they are
marked PAL or NTSC - to show the countries they're for.

Yes, and no. DVD's are component video not RGB and they can be in one of
3 frame rates. NTSC film (24/1001), PAL (25) and NTSC video (30/1001).

Indeed - but as I said not actually PAL. That refers to phased alternate
line. And designed to overcome problems with transmission that NTSC
suffers from.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.