Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

"Leon" wrote in message

"Han" wrote in message
Jack Stein wrote in
:

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...

I downloaded and uninstalled SU about 2 or 3 times before I finally
figured out how to use it. A few on line tutorials really help get the
wheels spinning. I have been using AutoCAD LT since 97 and have been
using CAD programs in general since 86. I am finding that SU will pretty
much do what everything that AutoCAD LT would do with a very few
exceptions. The big trick for me is learning/remembering to draw
components and assemble the drawing with those components. I tend to want
to draw every thing in place and that does not work out real well with SU
especially if you want to relocate a particular group of lines.

It helps greatly to group things into components, and
sub-sub-sub-....-sub-components. (It's conveniently mapped to the 'G' key by
default.) You don't have to always break things down to individual boards or
sticks, but maybe start that way and find some level of granularity that's
comfortable. For example, drawers or paneled doors might be comfortable as a
single part, or you might prefer to work with a grouping of simple sticks.
Keep some "cutters" around to cope the ends of sticks, etc. I tend to work
in place also. Other 3D CAD systems formalize the relationships as parts and
sub-assemblies. You should do the same. Keep the outliner and components
windows open even if you have to sacrifice some screen space to do so.