Posted to misc.consumers.house
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to remove smoke odor from house

On Dec 21, 8:00*am, Tony wrote:
I am an idiot. Everyday, my wife and I boil or baby's bottles in a pot of hot water to sterilze
them. Last night, I turned on the stove at 12:30 am and while I was waiting for the water to boil, I
sat down and watched tv. Well, next thing you know, I woke up at 4am with the most disgusting smell
of all of the melted bottles and nipples inside the covered pot. I immedieately threw the pot
outside into the snow. but the smell was so bad, I could hardly breathe. I looked at the pot this
morning and all that is left is a black hard hardened plastic clump on the bottom. It looks like the
surface of the moon, or like sugar after you boil it.

*I didnt see any smoke but there must have been some. I opened the windows immediately at 4:30 am
(front door, rear door, windows, fans, etc, which was terrible because it was 20 degree last night
and it was snowing when this all happened. I closed everything after one hour and went back to bed
(with out bedroom door shut). Thank goodness the baby's room door was almost completely closed
because we have a humidifier in his room. Our room was far enough away from the kitchen that it
didnt smell yet.

So there is my jackass story. Now, my wife left for the day with the baby and my job is to get rid
of this smell. I googled this and it seems that boiking vinegar is a good way to do this. Also, cut
an onion and leave it out. Do these things really work? I live in a ranch so it is only the one
floor to worry about. Also, there is no carpeting in any of the affected rooms. *Will it get better
if I washed down all the walls, ceilings and mopped the floors? Please help. I am sitting here in a
55 degrees house with the windows wide open and the smell of burnt plastic is almost everywhere.

I dont have the money to hire a professional or to get ozone machines. Thanks for any suggestions
that you think I can try that wont cost much.

Tony

Ozone is poison so dont regret it, burn candles, carpet deoderiser or
baking soda in carpet, might help. Once my mom left a pot of chicken
on the stove and threw in 6 or so eggs to boil, 8 hrs later can home,
meat was off bones gone, eggs broke and burnt away, 2 years later it
might have been still stinking. Maybe google, plastics may be bad, or
maybe not.