Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Likely done by pointing a camera at a monitor. Proper standards convertors
were/are extremely expensive. And only really to be found within broadcast
facilities. But then copying any VHS results in very noticeable
degradation - even without standards conversion.

I had done that in the 1980's. By 1991, I had a panasonic converting VCR
that did digital conversions. That worked until about 3 years ago when it
had a mechanical fault, and the people that repaired it tore the ribbon cable
that controlled the converter. I still have it and was able to replace enough
wires in the cable to get to work as a VCR, but for now the converter is gone.

I've since replaced it with an Aiwa that does the same thing.

BTW, the OP's problem is with Nero, PAL DVD players have no trouble playing
NTSC DVD's on PAL TV sets. Some of them automaticly adjust, some have a
setup option.

Geoff.