Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] boyntonstu@gmail.com is offline

Default How to drill out a .330" ID PEX tube to .375 ID?

On Dec 23, 8:38*am, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 05:04:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:
1/4" PEX tubing has an OD of .375

3/8 PEX tubing has an ID less than .375

My sample measured .330".

The goal is to slide a piece of 1/4" PEX *tube through a 1" length of
3/8" PEX tubing.

Using a crude jig and my drill press, I proved that it could be done.

PEX is soft and it melts if overheated.

Approximately 0.025" needs to be shaved from the PEX wall to increase
the diameter to .375".

What jig/drill/speed/step, etc. *would you suggest?

If you are only worried about the 1" length of 3/8" why not just drill
the 3/8" tubing out with a twist drill?
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce,

That is what I did to prove the point.

The drill speed and feed were as slow as I could make it and it was
very difficult.

I believe that I will try 2 or 3 smaller size drills and nibble it
away to .375.