Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S.[_2_] Bob S.[_2_] is offline

Default Work Bench

"Leon" wrote in message
For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench.
I have been using fold up ones and steel ones but I want a wood top
with dog holes and a couple of vices.

Because there is a rather large investment in the "TOP" I have kicked
around using several different less expensive materials. In recent
years the replaceable MDF top has been popular with many magazines.
I forget what I was building several months ago but I ended up having
several pieces of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood stacked up and noticed
that they looked quite substantial.

I am wondering if any one has used Baltic Birch ripped in to "lot's"
of strips and glued up on the faces to make a bench top. Basically
the edges of all the Baltic Birch plywood would be facing up and down
to form the top of the top.

Ideas appreciated

Leon

Here's one I did a few years back and Bernie Hunt kindly made it
available on his site.

http://www.huntfamily.com/work_bench.htm

Bob S.