Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Work Bench

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
zxcvbob wrote:
Best thing I have found for the top is a used solid interior door.

I think the first order of business is to determine what the bench will be
used for...

For instance, a door or replaceable MDF top might make a good assembly
bench or machine table.

If you're going to flatten faces of boards with a hand plane, flatter than
the thicknesser leaves it, you're going to need a surface than can be
trued up on occasion with hand planes or cleaned with a cabinet scraper.

A surface used for lots of hand work is usually better without a slippery
film finish. On the other hand, the right film finish will protect
against glue, sharpening oils and water, etc...

I have surfaces ranging from melamine to urethane coated MDF to unfinished
pine and ash, depending on the use.

Lots and lots of very nice old benches have pine or fir tops that still
survive today. The surface doesn't have to be a hardwood.

That bit of information probably would have been helpful. ;!) I am wanting
a "flat" work bench to shape wood and or use for assembly of furniture. I
really want to get something bigger than my TS top. LOL