Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Work Bench

"StephenM" wrote in message
I'm kind of with Lew on this one. If you shop for relatively cheap wood
(common rather than select and 5/4 rather than 8/4 stock) you will have
alot less invested in a top than vises.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with a bench made from recycled
material, I applaud that. It just seems a bit inconsistent with the
premise:

"For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench."

-Steve

;~) My whole idea of using Baltic Birch over solid stock is to hopefully
speed up the preparation of the materials for glue up. I am not really
looking for a cheaper way out although it seems it would be significantly
cheaper with new Baltic Birch plywood over solid stock.
My thinking is if I buy solid wood stock and rip it to width for glue up
there is going to be some bow in some of the pieces after being cut and that
will have to be dealt with. Baltic Birch on the other hand should stay
straight after being cut and should eliminate some of the problems that
solid wood present from the equation during assembly. It's the stability of
the product that I am interested in more so than saving on expense.