Posted to rec.woodworking
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default Work Bench

I'm kind of with Lew on this one. If you shop for relatively cheap wood
(common rather than select and 5/4 rather than 8/4 stock) you will have
alot less invested in a top than vises.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with a bench made from recycled
material, I applaud that. It just seems a bit inconsistent with the
premise:

"For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench."

-Steve

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

Because there is a rather large investment in the "TOP" I have kicked
around using several different less expensive materials.

Since you are in the "Biz", you can appreciate that material is maybe
30%-35% of the final project cost.

Given the "top" represents maybe 80% of the material cost, the "top" is
maybe 25% of the project cost.

If you save 50% of the "top" cost by using inferior material, you only
save maybe 15% of the total project cost.

For a "one shot", personal, last a lifetime project, is saving 15% worth
it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lew