Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Craftsman 10" 3hp table saw

But if you ever need to dull your band saw blade in 30 seconds or
less, cut through some mattress pad.

As I read your post a couple of things come to mind.

The people who cut upholstery foam use a band saw blade designed
especially for that foam.

I have a customer who makes furniture foam and they also use the same
saw blade to cut it to size.

The people who cut Styrofoam and/or urethane foam use a nichrome "hot
wire" technique to cut it.

Do either of these fit your task?

Lew

Yes, I've used hot wire-- homemade from one of those giant soldering
irons. Works great with the Styrofoam and rigid foams.

Two things work great for any spongy foam; bands saws and electric
turkey carving knives. Both will be ruined for anything else, but will
still cut foam great after they have been dulled. The shearing action
of the carving knives makes them effective after dulling, but you can
take a blade off, and run it across your arm with little damage.

What I've noticed with the band saws for spongy foam is that they tear
the foam as they cut it, and dull actually works better. You can't
hardly cut balsa wood with it, but it's the best thing in the world for
foam.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)