Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Simko Mark Simko is offline

Default It is cold out side, lets take about bifocals

"Wes" wrote in message
For most of us it is too cold to go out to the shop so let us discuss
bifocals instead of
bush and obama.

I'm sitting in front of my computer using my new bifocals. Progressives.

A couple weeks ago I received my company paid for safety glasses, also
progressive.

At work, they suck. I talked to one of the guys that fit glasses today
and he mentioned
that they do make progressives that have the near vision part both on top
and at bottom of
glasses.

Anyone have those? Any comments?

Wes

Ok, I have to chime in on this one since I have personal experience that
differs alot from what has been discussed here so far. And I have learned
alot from this group but have not posted much.

I have had progressive lenses for, ahem, since 1995 (you do the math). They
are made by Varilux and are true progressive (brand name Panamic). One
poster mentioned they had tri-focal "progressives". Those are not true
progressives. True progreesive have a seemless prescription ground that
varies from reading distance to far range focussing. Tri-focals have three
distinct lense prescriptions combined into one lense.

My experinece with the Varilux is that they took very little time to get
used to (less than one day) and that they do not lose their focus at the
edges of the lenses. I have very broad peripheral vison and do not experince
any distortion of straight lines. If I strat seeing curvature in what I know
is a straight line, it means my astigmatism has changed and I need to get
the prescription corrected. Fortunately, the astigmatism hasn't moved much
in the last 6 years or so.

Also, I work behind a computer screen over 8 hours a day and at home another
3 or 4. I do not have a separate pair of reading glasses or what are
referred to in the trade as VDTs (video display terminal) glasses. I do not
like switching glasses to compensate for varying conditions. Having said
that, I am *very* picky about sharp focussing on the near distance (20") and
far distances (freeway signs). What I have found important to accomplish
this with progressive bifocals, is to make sure the short distance part of
the grind goes up high enough in the lense so that you do not have to "lift"
your head to read. Alot of dispensing opticians don't get this right. If you
have metal frame glasses, this can be compensated for sometimes by tweeking
the nose pieces to raise the level of the lense with respect to the center
of the eye.

I will agree with the poster that needed to focus when lying sideways while
wiring panels. I don't know of any lense that can compensate for that,
except a single vision lense ground for a specific distance.

And speaking of grinding, it makes all the difference in the world to the
quality of the lense. Optical labs must be certified to grind Varilux lense
blanks. Not just any optical lab can do it. And if the lab screws them up,
it is their dime to re-do them. These lenses are not cheap, so if they are
not right, complain until they make them right.

Oh, I don't work for Varilux or anyone else that can make money off of them.
I'm just a very satisfied user who is very picky when it comes to having
sharp vision. I do work for a vision care related company (that has no
interest in whether the customer chooses Varilux or any other lense maker)
and have some knowledge of lenses. But it is not what I do for them. I
architect computer systems to provide useful tools to other parts of the
company.

Hope this helps a few.