Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default electromagnetic chuck question

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:54:58 -0500, Randy wrote:

Anyone out there ever work on or service a mag-chuck? I just won a
chuck on ebay, 8 x 24 for my grinder? seller states it plugs right
into the wall. Every one I've seen uses a control box. Can I build
my own? Anyone have a schematic?

Anyone know what happened to Hitachi? All my seaches come up with
nothing as far as a chuck goes.

Hitachi model # HU-824

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Got the chuck today, had to take the little box apart. hooked up as
follows:

120v (hot) to fuse than switch SPST then full wave bridge
120v (n) to full wave bridge

positive from bridge to DPDT switch top contact
negitive from bridge to DPDT switch top contact

common (center) contacts DPDT switch to chuck

DPDT switch top contact left to bottom contact right (AKA diagonal
jumper)

DPDT switch top contact right to pushbutton NO, other NO contact on
push button to a 2200 ohm resistor 1/2 watt ( red, red, red) the to
bottom left contact on the DPDT switch.

DPDT switch is magnatize in one position and demag in the other when
the push button is pushed, not sure if that will do much, if anything,
with that resistor in there.

If this confused the hell out of you I can draw it and scan the dwg
and post it somewhere.