Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Only good mouse is a dead mouse, yes, but how to get there?

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Let's see... you want:

1. No or minimal baiting.
2. Automatic resetting.
3. Deals with multiple rodents.
4. Easy to reuse.
5. Self cleaning.

Think cat.

You can even borrow one.

Trouble with cats is the also go after the birds. If you hate birds
then it's ok.

Yes, they do. Leaving aside the fact that most birds are really rats with
feathers and the observation that the only birds cats manage to get are
those walking around on the ground (dumb birds), the state of Illinois (yes,
that Illinois) once tried to prevent bird slaughter by passing a bill
requiring outdoor cats to be leashed!

The governor of Illinois (no, not the current governor) sent the bill back
to the legislature with the following message:

---
To the Honorable, the Members of the Senate of the Sixth-sixth General
Assembly:

I herewith return, without my approval, Senate Bill No. 93, entitled, "An
Act to Provide Protection to Insectivorous Birds by Restraining Cats." This
is the so-called "Cat Bill." I veto and withhold my approval from this Bill
for the following reasons:

It would impose fines on owners or keepers who permitted their cats to run
at large off their premises. It would permit any person to capture or call
upon the police to pick up and imprison cats at large. It would permit the
use of traps. The bill would have statewide application -- on farms, in
villages, and in metropolitan centers.

This legislation has been introduced in the past several sessions of the
Legislature, and it has, over the years, been the source of much comment --
not all of which has been in a serious vein. It may be that the General
Assembly has now seen fit to refer it to one who can view it with a fresh
outlook. Whatever the reasons for passage at this session, I cannot believe
there is a widespread public demand for this law or that it could, as a
practical matter, be enforced.

Furthermore, I cannot agree that it should be the declared public policy of
Illinois that a cat visiting a neighbor's yard or crossing the highway is a
public nuisance. It is in the nature of cats to do a certain amount of
unescorted roaming. Many live with their owners in apartments or other
restricted premises, and I doubt if we want to make their every brief foray
an opportunity for a small game hunt by zealous citizens -- with traps or
otherwise. I am afraid this Bill could only create discord, recrimination
and enmity. Also consider the owner's dilemma: To escort a cat abroad on a
leash is against the nature of the cat, and to permit it to venture forth
for exercise unattended into a night of new dangers is against the nature of
the owner.

Moreover, cats perform useful service, particularly in rural areas, in
combating rodents -- work they necessarily perform alone and without regard
for property lines.

We are all interested in protecting certain varieties of birds. That cats
destroy some birds, I well know, but I believe this legislation would
further but little the worthy cause to with its proponents give such
unselfish effort. The problem of cat versus bird is as old as time. If we
attempt to resolve it by legislation why knows but what we may be called
upon to take sides as well in the age old problems of dog versus cat, bird
versus bird, or even bird versus worm. In my opinion, the State of Illinois
and its local governing bodies already have enough to do without trying to
control feline delinquency.

For these reasons, and not because I love birds the less or cats the more, I
veto and withhold my approval from Senate Bill No. 93.

Respectfully,
STATE OF ILLINOIS
EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT
SPRINGFIELD, April 23, 1949

ADLAI E. STEVENSON, Governor

---

In a similar vein, a legislator in Minnesota introduced a bill a couple of
years ago for an "open season" on feral cats! About that time, the NRA held
its annual meeting in my town. Appearing at the attached trade show was R.
Lee Emery (Full Metal Jacket, Mail Call, etc.) signing autographs at the
Glock booth.

I approached Lee and told him about the proposed Minnesota law then asked:
"So, Lee, I'm putting together a 'Celebrity Cat-Call' tape. Would you be
willing to say "Here, kitty-kitty' for the project?"

He stopped signing photographs, turned his head to me and said: "That is the
most ****ed-up idea I have EVER heard !"

Oh well...