Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Generator for a well pump?

Tim Smith wrote:

The discussion on emergency generators has made me wonder: what would it
take to supply power to just a well pump? I can deal with no heat, TV,
lights, or internet during power outages, but no toilets is pretty
darned annoying!

--
--Tim Smith

4-5 KW will run an average home nicely. Refrigerator, well pump, gas/oil
furnace, lights, TV, microwave, etc. without issues.

If you have electric heat, heat pump, A/C, electric water heater or
similar large loads you want to run you'll of course need a bigger unit.

As others noted, a bucket and a garbage can and/or bathtub full of water
will flush a lot of toilets if you have gravity flush toilets. This may
not work well for the pressure assist toilets.