Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there ANYthing that will remove black mould from silicone sealant?

Lobster wrote:
news wrote:
In message , MM
writes
The silicone sealant (from a gun) behind the kitchen sink (sealing
the worksurface to the wall tiles) has several spots of mould where
I have been a bit lax with the cleaning. Anything I've tried will
not shift the mould stains. The mould seems to have ingressed into
the sealant. Is there any modern product I could try? Or is this a
case of redoing the sealant strip in due course? I looked in Tesco,
but they had no mould remover of any kind.

Dettol anti bacterial mould and mildew remover spray, bought from
Tescos here - and doubtless other supermarkets if not in your
Tescos, works just fine here most of the time. You have to leave it
on the black patch to work over a few hours.

Yeah I find that works better than bleach - not sure why as I can't
think what other ingredients it contains. Still not foolproof though:
if it's very bad replacement may be the only option.

Yup, much better than bleach - I don't know why either. Its described as
'activated' bleach whatever that means. It smells more strongly of chlorine
than normal bleach.

It also; "Contains an antimicrobial agent that removes stains caused by
ingrained mould" according to http://www.dettol.co.uk/sf_bathrooms.shtml#mmr

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk