Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holes in plasterboard walls

In article ,
endymion wrote:
I need some help with this because my husband is busy and hasn't got
round to it. he moved the storage radiator ( on my request) and behind
it he has left two holes which were cut into the plasterboard walling
and hidden until the heater came off the wall. I think they were from
some previous wiring attempt there. I cant say for sure. . One is four
inches square and the other about six inches. How can I fill them up?
This needs to be an easy botch because I am no good at DIY I am fed up
of the gaping holes. My husband "filled" them temporarily with kitchen
towel to stop draughts. behind them is the cavity wall ( I think) -
well its a hole there anyway.

Easiest way is to get some plasterboard to start with - a look around the
local skips will usually find enough for your needs. B&Q also sell small
sheets of this for a couple of quid which will fit in the car. You'll need
also a small bag of one coat plaster.

Cut a strip just under the height of the hole but wider - say twice the
width. You can either score it with a sharp knife then snap it - or cut it
with a saw.

Clean the back of the plasterboard in the wall with a damp cloth.

Screw a woodscrew into the middle of the bit you've cut - so you can
maneuver it onto the back of the hole.

Mix up a small amount of your plaster keeping it fairly runny - about the
consistency of double cream. Apply it to the parts of the bit that you've
cut which will touch the back of the wall and put it in place - you won't
need to hold it for long for the plaster to set sufficiently to leave it.

Give it a few hours to set, then cut another bit to fit the hole. Fix in
the same way, and leave to set. Finally follow the instructions on the
plaster bag for finishing off. With a bit of care you'll get a strong
invisible repair.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.