Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sump pump issues

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:25:56 -0800 (PST), "Chris (SilverUnicorn)"
wrote:

On Dec 21, 9:07*am, wrote:

I would add, how big is the sump pump basin? * If it only holds two
gallons, of course the pump is going to shut off after only a matter
of seconds. * If it's at least average size, then you will have enough
water for it to run for a decent cycle. * If it has no bottom, you can
also dig it deeper and then place a few inchs of washed gravel or
large crushed stone in the bottom. * *Don't be afraid that is going to
bring more water in. *Water will only seek it's natural level. *Also,
so pumps have adjustments on the float which can change the on/off
points.

And how much water actually gets discharged outside now with each
cycle? *With 3 check valves, it seems clear that the check valve
itself is not the problem.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for all the replies.

The system we have is this:

The RIGID pump is 1/3 HP, and is the main pump. There is also a backup
pump, a Basement Watchdog. These are plumbed inline. Here is a really

Well, I was going to suggest you really didnt need a checkvalve, but
if you have two pumps, of course you do. You need two of them.
Otherwise one pump will pump and the water will come out through the
other pump.

crappy picture of the setup.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/...9b75d367_b.jpg

Very neat job.

So your check valves are clamped in below the lid? Right?

In that picture, the discharge for the Rigid pump is on the right, the
basement watchdog on the left.

At this point I am not convinced all is hooked up correctly though.

When the pump stops, there is a clunk, which I can oly assume is the
water closing the sump pump.

The water closing the check valve, when the water starts to fall back.

Each of the 2 pumps has it's own check valve, and they are directly at
the pump discharge.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I should add some gravel or rocks to
the bottom of the pit and raise the pumps themselves. These were
installed by a contractor, and a competent one at that

Then you will pump out LESS water, because the pumps will be higher.
That's not so bad if you started that way -- your pump willl pump less
water so it will have to turn on more often when the water outside is
coming in -- but it won't solve your problem.

The basement watchdog pump worked very oddly when we got alot of
water, som I am not sure if that was a worthwhile investment. It is
currently unhooked because it alreasy needs a new battery (1 year
old).

Why unhook it. Yes, it's no good during a power failure, but it
should pump in tandem with the other pump when there is power, and
when the water in the sump is high enough to reach the second float.

My home is 30 years old, and once but only once during that time has
my pump not been enough. The water was pouring out the pipe outside,
but inside the water level still rose above the basement floor, and
got a few things wet, mostly the cardboard boxes things are stored in.

BTW, is your battery charger good? Check the output voltage of it.
Must be over 13 to work, but I don't know exactly what it actually
should be if working as designed.. 13.5?

Chris