Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

So do I. They rarely last more than a year before they leak, and some
brands even less. Before they changed from some anonymous Chinese
manufacturer to GPT, the Office Depot brand sold here lasted 3-4 months.

Are you storing them in an oven? I have used Alkaline cells that
were over six years old.

Are those times for cells that have been stored in unused condition,
or for cells that are in a device which is in occasional use?

I believe that the former (shelf life when fully charged) is often a
good deal better than the latter (lifetime once partially discharged).
I've read that even a modest partial discharge of an alkaline cell
starts an electrochemical reaction that can lead to corrosion of the
case after a year or so.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO