Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Drilling bullets

Spray with spam. Or a light spindle oil. It helps
it slip. Otherwise add Crisco and get to work.
The long vege chains hand in there and lube.

Martin

pb wrote:
In article ,
says...

I file off the tip of the bullet so that the jacket is slightly bigger than
the drill bit. Then using a Jacobs chuck in the tail stock I try to drill a
whole through the bullet. I have used speeds from 100 rpm to 2,000 rpm. I
withdraw the bit every 1/8" and clean out the flutes, add oil and make sure
that the bullet is cool. I got through the bullet once but then the bit
stuck and snapped off. The bullets I am trying to use are 30-06 171 grain
full jacket bullets.

What am I doing wrong???

Lead tends to build up around a drill bit, so it's best to keep cleaning
it as often as posible. Your main problem is perhaps when the drill bit
breaks through the last bit of the copper jacket, drills always grab as
they break through thin material, especialy if you keep up the same
pressure. You have to back off and just barely touch for the final part,
a lathe probably isn't the most sensitive of tools for feeling your way,
gently gently is the key.