Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16228 Ignoramus16228 is offline

Default anvil question

On 2008-12-22, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:04:21 -0600, Ignoramus16228

On 2008-12-21, Erik wrote:

It would lose properties valuable in an anvil, such as ring and
rebound.

Just curious... what value does 'ringing' add an anvil? Rebound I can
understand.

I went way out of my way to stop mine from ringing...

I think that the value of ringing is the resale value of the anvil.
Otherwise I agree with you, I hate ringing too.

Ditto. If it rings, it's probably not cracked or delaminated.
Minimizing the ringing in use is good.

Ringing and rebound are very similar physical properties, they are a
manifestation of how little energy is absorbed by anvil, as opposed to
being returned to work. So a "good" anvil keeps ringing for a long
time after being struck, which is utterly useless, but is a good sign
of anvil's other abilities to return energy back to work.

Anyone has a good suggestion to reduce ringing? Stick a rag into the
hardie hole? Put a female tit on the heel?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/