Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Cavity Wall Insulation Queries

Bovvered? wrote:
I've just had a survey by a cavity wall insulation company, they're
one of two approved companies under our local council's insulation
grant scheme. I'm confused over a couple of things they've said hence
this post.

I have a detached garage that is approx 4-5 feet away from one gable
end, they say that with this space for a ladder they can't safely
reach the roof apex and I'll have to pay extra for a scaffold
platform. I asked how high they could go on a ladder with the space
available and they said up to the gutter line. Not being an expert in
this field I'm wondering why do they need to insulate above the gutter
line anyway? Is there any reason why I need to have the wall cavity in
the loft insulated? If I don't is there a risk of damp?

As Adam has already answered this, I don't need to, except to say that water
naturally runs down the inside of the outer brickwork during rainstorms -
you don't need a roof tile missing or any other damage, water gets through
small holes in the mortar and in some cases, the bricks themselves to get
into the cavity.

You don't pay for scaffold though - they are trying it on, simply tell them
that they can do up to the gutter line as normal, then they can do the apex
from inside the loft like all the other CWI installers

My next query is about our lounge which is 26 feet by 14 feet. It has
a gas fire with a normal flue and the room is double glazed with a bay
window at one end and patio doors at the other, the patio doors are
fitted with a permanently open trickle vent. The surveyor has told me
I'll need a 150mm square wall vent installed at extra cost. The reason
given being that CO2 produced by the gas fire won't be able to
permeate through the wall once the cavity is insulated. Is this
correct (and why) or just an unnecessary 'extra'.

TIA

It /could/ be required, but certainly not at extra cost - this has to be
included in the job.

I've done houses that have needed 20 - 30 vents[1] installing and there was
no extra charges invovled to the customer.

[1] underfloor vents, through vents and suchlikes, very often there were 3
or 4 on each elevation, sometimes a lot more - this is included - it's like
an electrician charging extra for cable clips or a plumber for fittings.

They sound like a cowboy outfit to me, complain to the council, then get in
touch with your energy supplier to find out about their grants, but first
visit this website to see if you can get a 100% grant:
http://www.warmfront.co.uk/

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008