Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Anyone know how to split large binaries ?

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:06:28 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

I have some useful manuals etc that might be of interest but they are
too large to post singly (my news provider rejects them). Around 1 MB or
so.

I'm only using Netscape 4.8 (because I like it before anyone makes sarcy
comments).

Graham

Hard to believe that you have been in Usenet for this long and do not
know how to post a binary.

Hint: It is not a Nutscrape process.

Umm, yes it is. For files below the maximum size limit, one just clicks
the 'Attach' button, selects the file and Netscape (even 4.72) does the
rest.

One can zip, uuencode and all that by hand. But you risk making the post
incompatible with other news readers. Or at least a pain in the *ss to
read. I've seen far too many uuencoded binaries done by hand that
present themselves as the body of the post consisting of a few hundred
lines of gibberish. The reader has to 'Save as' and then decode by hand.
Which is guaranteed to make the less patient give up.

Sections must be kept below 10k lines each.

The binary must be converted to ascii only. UUencode is the norm.

And what about the Content-type:, Content-Transfer-Encoding: mime
headers and required attributes? There's a lot more going on under the
hood of a binary post than just making a string of silly characters.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.