Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default Anyone know how to split large binaries ?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:06:28 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

I have some useful manuals etc that might be of interest but they are
too large to post singly (my news provider rejects them). Around 1 MB or
so.

I'm only using Netscape 4.8 (because I like it before anyone makes sarcy
comments).

WinZip and WinRAR each have the ability to split compressed files. IIRC,
in WinZip one creats a .zip file and then asks for it to be split; in
WinRAR the splits are created on the fly.

There are various other utilities out there to create splits from
original files; not that hard to write. The advantages to using WinZip
or WinRAR are having a standard format, an easy way to recombine the
files, and built-in error checking.

If it's a LOT of files in one split, consider also passing the lot
through QuickPar, which enables the recovery of missing pieces if enough
of the base material made it though.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA