Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Heater Not Keeping Up

wrote in message
All,

Last night, the temp here in Iowa dipped down to around -10 with a -35
degree windchill. This morning I noticed the temp was about 4 degrees
off of where I had the thermostat set (It was set for 68, but the
heater was running continuously to keep it at 64). Right now, the
temp has risen to about -5 and the heater is running continuously to
keep the house at about 66-67 degrees.

When you look at the windchill, I think this is probably one of the
coldest days since I moved in 2 years ago.. Does this sound normal, or
could there be an air flow problem? The amount of hot air coming out
the vents seems to be normal compared to warmer days.

Thanks,
Dan

Couple of possibilities. Heaters are designed for a certain temperature
rise across the coil or heat exchanger. If the leaving air is above the
entering air by the correct degrees, the heater is running properly.

Next is wind chill. The wind chill factor does not apply to inanimate
object, only or skin where evaporative cooling makes us feel colder than the
actual temperature. Wind will though, chill a house faster if there are
leaks, poor windows, defective door weather striping etc. Check all of that
stuff. Even a simple fix like a towel rolled up against a leaking door
threshold helps.

Next factor is the design of the heating system. At some time the builder
should have run the calculations of how much heat is required to keep your
house at the design temperature under severe conditions. If -10 is the worst
it ever gets there, it is about the limit of the system. If you often get
say, -25, your system was not sized properly and should have been larger.

Fixes include adding more insulation and possibly some supplementary heat.
Even baking cookies is a good idea on a day like this as the oven will add
some heat to the house.

You did not say what type of fuel you have. Oil burners can be de-rated by
putting in a smaller nozzle. If you have oil, be sure you have the
appropriate nozzle for your burner.