Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Heater Not Keeping Up

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
All,

Last night, the temp here in Iowa dipped down to around -10 with a -35
degree windchill. This morning I noticed the temp was about 4 degrees
off of where I had the thermostat set (It was set for 68, but the
heater was running continuously to keep it at 64). Right now, the
temp has risen to about -5 and the heater is running continuously to
keep the house at about 66-67 degrees.

When you look at the windchill, I think this is probably one of the
coldest days since I moved in 2 years ago.. Does this sound normal, or
could there be an air flow problem? The amount of hot air coming out
the vents seems to be normal compared to warmer days.

Thanks,
Dan

Anything is possible, including the heating unit being undersized for the
building

Hi,
Or house has poor insulation, or it could be as simple as dirty air
fiter if it is force air furnace. Here, it's been -30C with windchill of
-40C or so last two weeks. Our furnace has been running more than
usual but keeping indoor temp. at constant 21C.