Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

On 21 dic, 16:38, (Graz) wrote:
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:53:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:
In article ,
Graz wrote:
I need to copy a PAL-VHS tape in NTSC format for someone in the US. I
have a Sony VCR which can read tapes in NTSC format and I want to dub
this tape from a second VCR. My first attempt produced a tape which
can be played whether the Sony is in NTSC mode or PAL mode. Have I
succeeded or am I wasting my time?

NTSC tapes are usually viewed in the UK by a cludge between the VHS and TV
- the VHS doesn't actually convert them to PAL.

Cludge? Is that a technical term? :-)

You might be able to do it properly via your PC.

I'd be interested to know what's involved.

you will need a vcr which outputs in NTSC 3.58 - not just NTSC 4.43,
WHICH IS USED TO PROVIDE COLOUR ON A PAL tv but is useless for copying
(sorry- caps lock jammed!)
I have a sony SLV-ER7UY which has a switch for both modes, but there
were a number of Uk models offering this. try ebay.

once you get such a machine you just set your pc card and capture
software to ntsc.you can them make a vcd or dvd . I have done this.
-B