Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:19:14 +0000, the renowned "Ron(UK)"
wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Designing anything for alkalines only in ths day and age is absurd.

In your opinion maybe. Professionals in the sound industry use quality
replaceable batteries, they are reliable - reliability means
_everything_ when a show (or your job) is at stake.

P.S. rechargeables have LESS internal resistance. Try shorting a rechargeable and see how hot it gets.

Try shorting a 9 volt Procell! stand well back tho...

Ron

John W. measured something like 90A from a shorted rechargeable (NiCd,
IIRC) 9V battery. Enough to cause a real explosion.

I used to have a badly damaged wireless mic that caught fire while in
use. If it hadn't been in a thick leather case the user would have had
third degree burns where the ni-cads failed. He got some first & second
degree burns as it was. The inside of the leather case was soaked with
the contents of the vented cells, which would have caused more damage.
The brand & model information was burnt off, along with most of the
circuitry. The man using it reportedly grabbed it from his chest & threw
it across the room before it could do more damage. When they showed it
to me they didn't know who made it, and the dealer they bought it from
was out of business.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.