Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Graz[_2_] Graz[_2_] is offline

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:10:47 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

The European and North American TV systems use different standards -- 625/50
and 525/30, respectively. You cannot copy from one to the other without
conversion at some point.

If the tape is PAL, you need a VCR that can output the image in NTSC format
(or something closely approximating it), which you would then copy to a VCR
that records in NTSC format.

If you would tell us more about the VCRs you have (make and model, specific
features), it would be easier to help you.

I think you've answered my question. The source VCR (JVC HR-J470EK)
doesn't have the capability of outputting in NTSC format. The object
VCR has the capability of reading NTSC tapes but probably not
recording them (Sony SLV-F900). So it looks like the idea is a
non-starter.