Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
P.[_2_] P.[_2_] is offline

Default Counterfeit 2N3055?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 06:25:52 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 02:12:00 -0800, the renowned PhattyMo
wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
"DaveC"
I need to buy some '3055's. Is there much risk of getting a counterfeit? I
read that because these are so cheap, they are being substituted (and
relabelled) for more expensive transistors. But there's not much profit in
counterfeiting 3055's.

Should I be concerned?

** Well, I have bought counterfeit BC639s for 30c each - they were very
likely reject BC547s relabelled.

The aim of the counterfeiter is sell devices he can get for almost nothing
that near impossible to sell and make a killing by falsely re-labelling
them.

2N3055s are still very popular and so easy to sell - but lots of other
old, oddball TO3 types are not.

Expect fakes to be offered on eBay and elsewhere.

..... Phil

'They' are faking everything now. There have been incidents of caps
being faked too.

I have a bag of 1,000 fake Panasonic trimpots.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Hi,

Can I have a foto of that? I am collecting data on fake parts.

We are developing good replacement parts, and I am making a list of
fake parts to show my customers. So they know what is out there.

P.