Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump issues

On Dec 21, 2:36*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:34:36 -0800 (PST), "Chris (SilverUnicorn)"

wrote:
Well it's at it again. We got a new sump pump and now it's doing the
same thing the old one was doing.

The water level in the pit is low, but high enough to trip the pump.
That's fine the pump starts, and pumps out some wayer ( needs to go 7'
vertical than out the discharge).

Problem is, that 7 feet is enough to empty the pit enough so the pump
shuts off. I can only assume the check valves don't work, because the
pit fills up enough again to restart the pump.

My sump raises the water also 7 feet or maybe over 8, and I don't have
a check valve but when the water falls back, it only raises the sump
level 2 or 3 inches. *

Maybe you have another source of water. *How fast is other water
pouring into your sump? *When the water table outside is higher than
your sump entry pipes, there is in practice an unlimited supply of
water. *The higher the water table the faster it enters.

Maybe if you raised the float level there would be fewer periods when
the pump would run. *

This happens every 2
minutes or less.

I don't have a check valve and have never had one. *The pump turns off
when there are two inches in the sump, and when the pump turns off and
the pipe water falls back, it rises to 4 or 5 inches

Five inches is a far cry from the height needed to start the pump
again, which is about 12 inches, and that is still 3 inches from the
top.)

If my water level rose 7 inches in 2 minutes, it wouldn't take much
longer to rise 10 inches.

(I think these numbers are right. I'll check if you want.)

I would think if your check valve were backwards, there wouldn't be
much water coming out. *Can you check outside the house if and how
much the sump pump is discharging?

It is just recycling the same water over and over. The electric
company will love me

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thsi is our THIRS check valve. I can not
imagine these are designed so poorly.

I put a check valve on my basement sink drain, but it doesn't work. *I
tried hard to keep lint from the washing machine from getting in but
maybe that ruined it.

The checl valves are made by Flotec. The pump is a Rigid brand that
was purchased at Hiome Depot about a year ago.

Chris- Hide quoted text -

I would add, how big is the sump pump basin? If it only holds two
gallons, of course the pump is going to shut off after only a matter
of seconds. If it's at least average size, then you will have enough
water for it to run for a decent cycle. If it has no bottom, you can
also dig it deeper and then place a few inchs of washed gravel or
large crushed stone in the bottom. Don't be afraid that is going to
bring more water in. Water will only seek it's natural level. Also,
so pumps have adjustments on the float which can change the on/off
points.

And how much water actually gets discharged outside now with each
cycle? With 3 check valves, it seems clear that the check valve
itself is not the problem.