Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or batterysys...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I havn't tried a fridge on 1000 watts. Might work, never know.

Startup draw may be too much for a 1KW generator.

For
power cuts in the winter, fuel based light is good, as it produces
heat.

And odorless,colorless,poinsonous CO gas.
In a winter situation,indoor use is not a good idea.

Candles, oil lamps, camping mantle lanterns, and so on. 1000
watts will run most furnaces for heat. But not for AC. Food outside in
the cold is good idea.

Use snow in a insulated cooler.don't just leave food outside to keep
cold;sunlight will heat it up.

one more thing to consider is carbon monoxide poisoning.You need a CO alarm
in your apartment,if you're going to be using a generator near it.

I used a 12V/20AH gel cell to power flourescent lights for 7 days back in
2004 after Hurricane Charley,but that was August and 90 degF temps.
I powered a 12V flourescent like they sell for closets,powered by 8 AA
cells,but has a jack for external power,I had made up a cable well before
the outage.I also powered a pair of 12V fans salvaged from PC power
supplies to keep a breeze going over me at night,so I could sleep in the
90degF heat.

You can charge them from your car's system,and get a 12V cellphone
charger,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik