Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Question on home wiring

On Dec 20, 6:25*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:19:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'd not want to do that. Later electricians will find mauve, purple, fuscia
and olive wires. And not know which one is hot, or neutral. For the one time
expense, I'd suggest to buy new wire, and stick to the accepted colors for
hot, ground, and neutral.

Everything in the post was "accepted colors". Nothing suggested colors
that are not "accepted".

Yeah. *I'd be pretty leery of an electrician that didn't understand
that setup... but then again, I'm used to dealing with electricians
that come and work on our 3-phase, 440V stuff.

Residential electricians deal with black, white, red and green. ( or
shades there-of) So grey and mauve could be black and red?

Agree.
But have met electricians who know all about current practice of how
to wire, how much slack, frequency of stapling etc. etc. but haven't
got a clue about the ratio between RMS and peak voltage, or why phase
to phase voltage is different from phase to neutral voltage, for
example in 3 phase service in a supermarket lighting sytem and have no
idea how a GFI works.