Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John Weeks John Weeks is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:32:29 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Tom, Yep, woodturning _is off topic here and I'm the worst perp!

I suspect that Lutefisk is like several other ethnic 'survival' foods
that are more in the talking than in the eating. We Scots honor 'The
Haggis' in song and story, but oatmeal and entrails boiled in a sheep's
stomach is for ceremoniously bringing to table with squealing pipes and
rolling drums. With apologies to Bobby Burns, it is mercifully removed
quickly so as not to interfere with our steaks.

Same for Redneck 'prime ribs' (aka sow belly garnished with chitlins)
and many other foods that kept folks alive during hard times and now are
honored, but never eaten. Judging by the economy, we might come to
depending on them again.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch, you're right about lutefisk being Norwegian soul food. Like
Haggis, it is eaten primarily during the holiday season, but that is
partly because that is when it is available. I remember back in the
day when we could get it in South Dakota from September through March.
Mom would buy 4 lbs apiece for my Dad and uncles. This wasn't the
prepackaged stuff you find now - this came in a barrel at the locak
butcher's and had the bones etc. Bye the bye - I like haggis!

Tom - of course the Swedish way is not way to eat Lutefisk. The
"proper" way - meaning the way we eat it - is one piece of lutefisk,
one piece of boiled potato and a bit of *cold* butter on the fork.
Finest kind!

And to keep it on topic - Mom used a turned wooden spoon to serve the
potatoes.

JW