Posted to alt.home.repair
James Egan James Egan is offline

Default Why are ceiling lights flashing?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:26:40 -0500, John Grabowski wrote:

Replacing the dimmer is the easiest fix, but a higher wattage rating is not
needed in this case. The fact that the heater and the lights are on the
same circuit and causing voltage drop may have had a long term detrimental
effect on the existing dimmer. Instead of wasting another dimmer, install a
regular wall switch for the time being to see if the flashing problem goes
away. Would it be easy to separate the outlets from the lighting so that
you have two different circuits as I think that would be the best way to go?

No, I like the dimmer out there. I believe the heater and lights are on
the same circuit, because the lights dim or get bright, depending on if
the heater is on or off. I'm probably going to try replacing the dimmer.

-Thanks