Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Why are ceiling lights flashing?

"James Egan" wrote in message
news
In my sun room I have 4 recessed lights with 75 or 100 watt bulbs. These
are connected to a dimmer. In the winter months, I have a cigar out
there, and have a 1500 watt quartz heater in front of me, a box fan in the
window, and a small fan blowing the smoke towards the box fan. Last week
when I turned off the heater, the lights brightened as they normally do,
but all 4 lights began flashing like a strobe light. Now the problem is
intermittent. The other night the lights would flash, then stop when I
turned on the heater. I believe I need to replace the dimmer with a
higher
wattage type. I've read that 600 watts is standard. Do you think that
will stop the lights from flashing?

-Thanks

It's possible that the dimmer is bad, although there is no need to use a
higher wattage dimmer. I would check to see if the lights and outlet that
the heater is plugged into are on the same circuit. It may be that they are
on two different circuits sharing a neutral (Edison circuit, or multiwire
circuit), in which case, there may be a loose connection in the shared
neutral.