Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Class/type of amp ?

snip

So what exactly are you saying here ? That it's right to use the word
"digital" in it's modern context, which all service engineers world-wide
would understand, or not ? Each time I read thru' what you've said, I
arrive at an opposite conclusion ! :-)

When talking to others, it is 'better' to use the meaning of the word, as
THEY define it.

OK. I see what you are saying. What I am saying is that it seems to now be
accepted, pretty much world-wide, that the meaning of the word "digital", in
the context of modern electronics, and specifically to this debate,
amplification, has changed (expanded ?) to encompass topologies and design
schemes, that do not fit into the older, narrower definition, as embraced
and strictly adhered to by William. As I am using the word in its majority
context, as is evidenced by the huge number of references on the web, then I
consider that I *am* using the word as the majority on here *would* define
it, and it is William who is not. Do you think that is a fair and reasonable
assessment of what we have been dancing around ? If you think I am wrong,
please feel free to say so. I will not be offended, and will consider your
reasoning, to see if it reverses, or modifies my position.

I don't believe, however, in this particular case, that it serves any useful
purpose to the general understanding of the class D topology, to ignore the
vast weight of manufacturers data where it *is* defined as being digital, in
favour of William's contention that it is actually analogue.

There is nothing to prevent you from saying [often to yourself]
'"normally",
I use that word to mean xxxxx [but in this case I will use your definition
so
we can communicate].'

I am just trying to point out the fact that it is "pointless" to 'argue'
over
the meaning of a word. Either you choose to agree upon a meaning so you
can
communicate, or you misunderstand or are "mistook".

I ENJOY playing with words and will often go a mile out of my way to make
pun.

I *try* to be a careful communicator always, allowing for the fact that
people who are not native English speakers, may well be reading, and
also that many Americans will be reading, who tend to use the language
in a much more 'literal' way than those of us in the UK. That
difference, and the difference in sense of humour, can easily lead to
conflict, so I try to take both of those factors into account when I do
post.

I think that you usually do well.

Thank you for that.

Maybe I don't get it right all the time, but at least I do try ..

Arfa (dah-di-dah)

As I said, the conversation has been intersting and educational.

di-di-di-dah-di-dah

tu su dit dit

CW was never my preferred mode. Is that a 'final' final ? If so, back at ya,
OM d;~}

Arfa

--
bz