Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT Security DVR

Do you have the EverFocus EDR400, Randy?

Is the software you mentioned for your recorder on your computer, or
imbedded in firmware in the recorder itself?

Does the recorder you use require hack/spitWindows on the PC to transfer the
files or watch the recorded video (not just by the connected VGA monitor)?

I just bought a used EDR400 recorder (a 4-input recorder) but haven't
received it yet. I read the operation instructions in the manual pdf
download, and I didn't find any mention of hours or recording time per
gigabyte of hard drive space in the manual.
I realize that the drive space will vary with the selected/chosen FPS, and
that the FPS setting is averaged between the 4 inputs.

Do you have an idea of hours/gig for 30 FPS frames per second, using only
one camera input?
I'm assuming that the other 3 inputs can be turned off, but maybe not.

I think I saw in the EverFocus website FAQ that the EDR series hard drives
can be replaced with HDDs up to 450GB so having a lot of HDD space shouldn't
be a problem.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Randy" wrote in message

I have a 4 channel Everfocus, works OK. but the software to get video
and record it to a CD is a real PITA.

On the above system, I see no nention of resolution. Some of the
cheap ones record at 320 x 120 which is crap, you will not be able to
pick out anything. 320x240 is not much better.

Most systems I've looked at say they display 640x480, note the word
display, they record at 320x240, watch for this.

The newer systems say they record at D1 resolution.

Full D1 video is 720x480. Cropped D1 is 704x480. Half D1 video is
352x480......(from google seach of "D1 video")

I don't put alot of weight into FPS, I record at 5FPS.

The above system says 120fps, that's total. if you use 4 cameras you
will get 30fps each. At 5fps thats 200 milliseconds between frames,
more than enough for security IMHO.

Thats my .02

Thank You,
Randy