Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25214 Ignoramus25214 is offline

Default Ball Screws in Bridgeport mill?

On 2008-12-20, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus25214 wrote:
I went to an auction recently and picked up a set of screws that
turned out to be ball screws for a 9x42 Bridgeport.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Bridgeport-Ball-Screws/

I am a little surprised about it, as, I thought, ball screws could
only be used in CNC mills whose screws were held by stepper
motors.

So, do they have use in a manual mill and are they in any way better
than regular drive screws? Or are they for CNC conversion only?

Unless I'm mistaken , the big advantage to ballscrews is that they have
virtually zero backlash . I don't know any reason they can't be used in a
manual mill .

I thought that the problem with ballscrews is that they can start
rotating under pressure. So if you do, say, a climb cut, the endmill
can pull the table towards the endmill.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/