Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Basic Toolkit?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I inherited my grandfathers tools, and the nice wooden chest they live
in. I love them. Indeed, I can see why people collect antique tools.

A chippie I once knew reckoned the sort of tool steel best for wood
chisels wasn't available at any price these days. He thought the secret
died out somewhere down the line. Sounds far fetched - but he had some
very old chisels that kept their edge far better than any modern ones. And
he knew all the good tool shops in London - wasn't talking about shed
tools.

In Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle there is a wonderful section which
describes the steel making in India from the seventeenth century.
Apparently, despite the misleading name, this is what became Damascus
steel. Did their secrets ever get lost?

And Tiranti (sculptural supplies) sell riffler files with incredibly
hard, long-lasting teeth. Not at all sure where they are made - I always
thought Italy, but have since wondered.

--
Rod

onset.