Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default DIY dunces?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:46:03 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

I suppose these days most of the interesting stuff has to be soldered.
It's a shame there aren't collections of plug-in components that the
younger ones could mess around with, like an electronic Meccano

You mean like:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98971

Looks interesting.
Can you easily replace, say, the transistor on it's plastic
piece after it's been connected the wrong way around?

Does look interesting, but a bit expensive for the younger ones. If it's
a base they can build on later using cheaper components, I guess you
simply regard it as an investment rather than a present. So, are there
generic bits and pieces you could add, or would they have to be
specifically for that board? Getting tied into overpriced add-ons would
kind of put me off and, in a way, would be getting away from your
original idea of building stuff from odds and ends.