Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default Basic Toolkit?

On 19 Dec, 22:22, John Weston wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'd be inclined to put in cheap a 12V cordless drill, plus set of screwdriver bits
and metric drillbits maybe a Tungstem-carbide tipped bit, too.
The cordless drill is much easier to use than handheld ones.
OK, they need charging, but that gives the user time to sits and consider
what they are actually planning to do.

For a basic kit, a cordless drill is not a good idea IMO. *With a DIY
starter, they will only be using it infrequently, so the battery will
likely be self-discharged between uses - especially a cheap one. *It
won't have enough grunt to do much real work when needed. Because of
this, for basic drilling, would not a corded drill be better, especially
one with speed-control?

One thing I have always envied my father for having is a hand-driven
drill (not a brace-and-bit) - obviously no use for concrete masonry,
but for precision drilling of wood, it is wonderful. It's also
perfectly good for putting holes in plaster and brickwork. No problem
with batteries or power supply either. It's to long for confined
spaces, but all the same, I covet it.

Regards,

Sid