Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity wall insulation

Tim S wrote:
techpro coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have just answered the door to a guy from a firm called Nationwide
Energy Services Ltd offering to install cavity wall insulation in my
house. He claims that I can apply for a grant of 70% of the cost so it
would cost £169 to insulate our house.

I believe that cavity wall insulation is a good idea. I had it done
back in the '80s in a bungalow I lived in then and it certainly seemed
to help keep the warmth in. If our house really doesn't have cavity
wall insulation I'm happy to have it installed for £169.

However, I'm wondering if this is just a scam, because:
- our house was built in 2001 by Alfred McAlpines (since taken over by
Persimmon Homes.) I thought all houses that recently built had
insulation blocks already inside the cavity walls;
- I'm being pressured to make a quick decision because I'm told "the
grant funding runs out at the end of the year."

I have agreed for them to come and "survey" the house on Monday but if
they told me I needed insulation and I really didn't I wouldn't know
any better.

Could someone who knows about these things please advise?

Part L was first introduced in 2002 IIRC, so anything built before this date
may or may not be insulated. I don't know what common practise was in 2001.

Total crap. I built my house to 2000 regs and it is incredibly
insulated. They wouldn't let me do anythng else.