Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:54:13 -0600, John Weeks wrote
(in message ):

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:52:54 -0600, tom koehler

I had similar results with a built-in grinder on a "sea salt" bottle.
uffda.

It is snowing pretty heavily, right now, and am impatiently awaiting
delivery
of a brandy-new chuck. (turning results/report will be forthcoming, as
soon
as I have something to report)

On topic, sort of - I am going to be making a batch of krumkakke, and
using a
new wooden spindle I made for this confection.

Happy holidays to one and all.
tom koehler

But the lutefisk, Tom! Are you having lutefisk?

This may be heretical, but I am not too fond of lutefisk - for those not in
the know, it is codfish which has been preserved by a combination of
aggravated drying plus treatment with lye. This was a staple of the
scandinavian diet before the days of refrigeration. It is reconstituted by
soaking, to both re-hydrate the fish and remove the lye. The result is a
semi-translucent, gelatinous quivering mass. With neither taste nor texture,
but still somehow achieving an impressive odor, it is appealing to the
traditional scandinavian in Minnesota. There are two schools of thought on
lutefisk, whether it be better served with white sauce (the Swedish Gambit)
or rather more simply slathered in melted butter (orthodox Norwegian). My own
preference is toward simple boiled cod with melted butter (torsk). It is as
close to lobster as I am likely to get.
regards,
tom koehler

--