Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default DIY dunces?

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:27:22 -0000, Mark Spice wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98971

My 7 year old son has a set of that stuff and loves playing around with
it. It does seem expensive but he has got a lot of value out of it.

Thanks your and Mr French's feedback, I think the lad (8) has just got
another Christmas present. B-)

Either this snap stuff, which does strike me as easily expandable but
expensive

It is pretty expensive, but it's well made, and of good quality, all the
pieces are sturdy, (they have yet to break anything), the diagrams are
clear.

or one of the other type with springs and lengths of real wire
to join things together.

We've got a couple of old one of those (look like they probably date
from the 1970's or something), I think they prefer the other a sort, the
spring ones seem more of a fiddle to them

I think a trip to Maplin is in order...

We have the Cambridge Brainbox version

http://www.cambridgebrainbox.co.uk/

We started with the Primary Plus kit, and this year picked up a
Secondary one from Ebay pretty cheaply (a good source for expansion
bits)

For an 8 yo I'd look to getting a Secondary kit if I was buying one, it
has some extra bits, more bulbs, a multimeter and stuff.

I also note they have an explorer kit which seems to be more electronics
focused.

They are available from various places (good old Google), though getting
a bit late maybe for online.

As an aside, I've heard good things about this:

http://www.windmillweb.co.uk/KIDSTUFF/apprentice.htm

The Electronics Wizard Apprentice.

Basically it a postal electronics course where they send out kits every
month. Aimed at 10 yo plus.
--
Chris French