Posted to uk.d-i-y
someone someone is offline

Default Basic Toolkit?

wrote in message
In the DIY Dunces thread, a couple of people have mentioned putting
together basic toolkits for their son or daughter.

snip

Muji screwdrivers
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...Sub=22&PID=701

Having lived in my house for over 30 years, I have to say that this Muji set
is the most useful thing I've ever bought.

A long rectractable tapemeasure is useful when measuring up for a carpet or
whatever.

A small hammer, for whacking nails, cracking nuts, killing small injured
animals.

Pliers, definitely pliers. Needle-nose and also large strong-jawed ones. A
couple of good wrenches.

Either a small hand drill and some drill-bits, or an electric drill. I've
always found the hand drill more useful for small holes.

Some files - large ones in all directions (square, round, triangular) or
small (needle-nosed things).

A bag of nails. A bit of sandpaper. A Stanley knife.

But above all, the Muji set of screwdrivers.

someone

So what is a basic toolkit? The obvious component is a large bag of
common sense, which looks to be in short supply. Beyond that, what
should there be? There are some things you would expect, like a
selection of Standard, Philips and Pozidrive screwdrivers - but the
question is, what exactly would you get - I have lots, of which I tend
to use only about three or four. Similarly, what fixings would you
include - what type of nails, screws, rawlplugs etc. If I want
chipboard screws, all I ever seem to have is woodscrews and vice
versa.

For some, the basic toolkit is a credit card and a nearby 'shed', and
a large garden shed to store all the tools you've used only once!

I did look in the uk.d-i-y wiki (possibly not hard enough) - and I
don't think there is an article on a 'Basic Toolkit' there, so perhaps
answers to this thread could eventually make it into the Wiki as a
useful article?

Cheers,

Sid