Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on home wiring

wrote in message
You will need to use larger outlet boxes to accommodate the larger and
additional conductors especially if you will be going from box to box. 4
11/16" x 2 1/8" square boxes will work best. Check tables 314.16(A) and
(B).
The number ten wires will be difficult to attach to wiring devices.

I'm planning on either using two two-gang boxes, or a single four-gang
box. I'm only entering 2 10's, and 6 12's, I think that just about
any two-gang has enough cubic inches to qualify for those.

*A deduction of two conductors must be made for each wiring device based on
the largest conductor. A deduction of one conductor is made for clamps
inside the box. 2.25 cubic inches is required for each #12. 2.5 cubic
inches is required for each #10.

4 x 2.5 = 10 cubic inches for the devices.
2 x 2.5 = 5 cubic inches for the two #10's.
6 x 2.25 = 13.5 cubic inches for the six #12's
1 x 2.5 = 2.5 cubic inches for the clamp.
Total = 31 cubic inches.

If you use 3.5" deep gem boxes ganged together you should be fine. Don't
skimp on cubic inches to save a buck. It will be a pain pushing all those
wires into the box with GFI's attached and #10 wire.